Monday, January 29, 2007

Three-Year-Old Clarity Trumps Hazy Early-Morning Parenting

On the drive to Emma's school today:

Emma: Dad, I need a tissue. Can you give me a tissue?

Me: I'm sorry Emma, I don't have any up here. You knew your nose was running...you should have brought one with you.

Emma: Yeah.

Me: Maybe you can just wipe it on your mitten. It's kind of yucky, but sometimes you just have to do that when you don't have a tissue. It will dry up and be fine.

Emma: Ok.

The dilemma appears to pass, and then it is quiet for several minutes...

...interrupted by the sound of Emma loudly blowing her nose.

Me: Emma, did you just blow your nose into your mitten?

Emma: [laughing] No! I blew it on my mitten!

Note to self: You can't be explicit enough about directions to a three-year-old. That, and they appear to revel in their acute attention to prepositions.

No comments: