Friday, May 12, 2006

Up Late

There's something about being up late with your baby that can be really fun, even if you're normally not prone to waking up randomly for an hour or so each night.

As you can tell by the photo on the left (click to enlarge), Annie can be quite enthusiastic about being up late. She pumps her fists in the air, makes lots of joyful noises, and is even starting to grin now and then. (this last detail might be random, but still, how can you not see it as a sign of happiness?)

I, of course, don't wake up quite as joyfully as she does. But in time, I have to admit that I really enjoy these moments. Each night that goes by, that I can spend holding her, I feel that this is most precious time--- time that you never really get once they're grown. And I know this--- I've even tried waking up our older girls, to sit quietly in the living room and listen to The Jazz Image on the radio late on a Saturday night. So far, I've not been successful in getting them to wake up, so that time tends to remain a solo activity, which is fine.

But Annie's showing me that she is probably up for it. Babies and jazz...the improvised movements and expressions...I guess they go together real fine.

1 comment:

Krupskaya said...

I remember those nighttime moments with much nostalgia. When I nursed Maia to sleep as an infant, I would read the Silmarillion to her aloud. When she went through a bad spell when she refused to sleep at about 15-18 months, I would hold her for hours and listen to the classical NPR station. They play quiet music at night, and it was beautiful.

It's different with the not-firsts, too. With the first, all you want to do is sleep at any cost. You know, with the later ones, that the time goes so fast, and you need to take a moment to see just how little and awesome they really are.

*sniff*